[fedora-java] PHPEclipse, Subclipse, and Webtools plugins for Eclipse

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Sat Feb 25 15:54:13 UTC 2006

Hi Doug,

* Douglas E. Warner <silfreed-fedoralist at silfreed.net> [2006-02-24 23:46]:
> I've recently just discovered the Eclipse IDE, and so far have been very
> impressed with it.

I'm glad.

> I've been using the PHPEclipse and Subclipse plugins just
> by unzipping the plugins into my /usr/share/eclipse/plugins directory,

You can also install them without root access by using the Eclipse update
manager.  They will then be installed into ~/.eclipse but will obviously
only be available to the user who performed the installed.

> I'm interested in helping getting these compiled, but unfortunately it's been
> very difficult for me to find information on how to compile plugins by hand
> for Eclipse.

Packaging plugins is the larger issue IMO.  It's difficult to find a
consisten way of getting the source and building it.  Ben Konrath has been
working hard on this and has a few potential solutions.  I'll let him
respond when he gets a chance.

As for natively-compiling the bytecode, it's probably best if you can use
aot-compile-rpm.  I know this is designed for use with RPMs, but if you can
examine the script and see what it does, it'll be closest to how things are
done at RPM build time.  If you can't figure out what to do, come back and
we can give detailed instructions.

Once we get things sorted out, it'd be awesome if you wanted to package
some of these plugins for Fedora Extras :)

Andrew