[fedora-java] Re: [JPackage-discuss] extension directories

David Walluck david at zarb.org
Sun Jan 15 22:36:03 UTC 2006

Anthony Green wrote:
> gcj currently looks in /usr/share/java/ext for extensions, which isn't
> compatible with JPackage.  In fact, this directory doesn't exist in FC.

This doesn't follow the JPackage spec if that's the idea. IMO, it should
be changed upstream.

> In JPackage-land, it looks like each JRE will have their own extensions
> directory under $JAVA_HOME/lib/ext, and then there's the JPackage
> maintained one at /usr/share/java-ext.

I don't think that's quite right on the JPackage side, as at least I
don't see any $JAVA_HOME/lib/ext directories.

> The BouncyCastle RPM installs JRE versioned .jar files in directories
> under /usr/share/java-ext.

And also under /usr/share/java-%{version}, and also under
/usr/share/java/gcj-endorsed...

So the question is, is gcj really using /usr/share/java/gcj-endorsed in
addition to $(jardir)-ext? I am not so sure.

> Should java-gcj-compat set gij's java.ext.dirs to
> $JAVA_HOME/lib/ext:/usr/share/java-ext ?

I think so.I have been aware of this issue for some time. I have always
done with in the gcc spec:

# Fix java-ext path
sed -i -e 's,\$(jardir)/ext,$(jardir)-ext,g' libjava/Makefile.{am,in}

> How do the proprietary JRE's pick up the contents
> of /usr/share/java-ext?

It could very well be that they don't. At least there are no
$JAVA_HOME/lib/ext dirs that I see, if that's where they look.

> How are any of JREs supposed to find the JPackage bouncycastle jar
> files?

It turns out that for most cases you do not need a signed provider or
anything and you can just put it on the classpath.

In gcj's case, it does, in fact, pick it up through the class in
/usr/lib/security/classpath.security even when not explicity on the
classpath (by using the ext dirs mechanism).

- --
Sincerely,

David Walluck
<david at zarb.org>