[fedora-java] making eclipse multilib compatible (bug # 207016)

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Tue Oct 24 15:13:56 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-24-10 at 10:26 -0400, Ben Konrath wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 07:40 +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
> > Ben Konrath writes:
> >  > Hi Andrew,
> >  >
> >  > Last week I started looking into making our eclipse packages mulitlib
> >  > compatible to solve bug # 207016 and I thought I'd write up a little
> >  > status report of what I found.
> >  >
> >  > Here are the issues we need sort out:
> >  >
> >  > 1) Ensure the src zips are the same for all arches
> >  > 2) Put the native fragments in %{_libdir} - the swt classes need to go
> >  >    there too because they use 32-bit or 64-bit references depending on
> >  >    the arch
> >
> > So you're going to put swt.jar into %{_libdir} ?  Ewww.  No, I don't
> > have any better idea.  :-)
>
> Sorry, I meant %{_libdir}/eclipse/. I know it doesn't exactly fit but
> I'm open to suggestions.

If I'm reading [1] correctly, I think our thinking that the
arch-specific stuff should all go in /usr/lib/eclipse is correct:

  /usr/lib : Libraries for programming and packages
  Purpose /usr/lib includes object files, libraries, and internal
  binaries that are not intended to be executed directly by users or
  shell scripts. [22]

  Applications may use a single subdirectory under /usr/lib. If an
  application uses a subdirectory, all architecture-dependent data
  exclusively used by the application must be placed within that
  subdirectory.

[22] Miscellaneous architecture-independent application-specific static
     files and subdirectories must be placed in /usr/share.

and under the /usr/share/section:

  Any program or package which contains or requires data that doesn't
  need to be modified should store that data in /usr/share
  (or /usr/local/share, if installed locally). It is recommended that a
  subdirectory be used in /usr/share for this purpose.

Andrew

[1] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#THEUSRHIERARCHY