[fedora-java] Fedora Eclipse 3.2 for FC-5

Aaron Luchko aaron at luchko.ca
Tue Sep 12 03:25:21 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 15:30 -0400, Ben Konrath wrote:
> Hey y'all,
>
> I whipped up a little test yum repo with Eclipse 3.2 for FC-5 (i386 and
> x86_64):

<snip>

> This is only a test repo to give a little preview of 3.2 running with
> GCJ for those of you who are not running rawhide. If people think it's a
> good idea, we don't mind officially releasing 3.2 and accompanying
> plugins into an FC-5 update. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Awesome, up till now I've needed to use upstream eclipse to be able to
use 3.2 but now I can switch back to fedora eclipse. I'd definitely be
in favour of updating the eclipse packages to 3.2.

One minor nitpick with these packages though, the update sites listed in
the update manager were from 3.1, I had to export the update sites from
an upstream download in 3.2 and import them into this version to be able
to install 3.2 updates. I think the problem is in
/usr/share/eclipse/features/org.eclipse.sdk_3.2.0.v20060609m-GpOJnQq-7es-zhF/feature.xml
a diff with upstream shows

    <url>
-      <update label="%updateSiteName"
url="http://update.eclipse.org/updates/3.1"/>
-      <discovery label="%updateSiteName"
url="http://update.eclipse.org/updates/3.2"/>
+      <discovery label="%updateSiteName"
url="http://update.eclipse.org/updates/3.2"/>
+      <discovery label="%secondaryUpdateSiteName"
url="http://download.eclipse.org/callisto/releases"/>
    </url>

On a side, and decidedly unrelated to java, note it would nice if there
was some supported way of installing different versions of packages with
yum other than installing from rawhide and possibly needing a massive
pile of other dependencies. Something like a fedora-beta or yum
--getVersion flag that lets someone get a development version of the
package (like eclipse 3.2) with a minimal set of dependencies. I just
think of the number of times I've needed to install a fairly stable beta
of some application to my home directory because even if there was an
rpm there would be too many broken dependencies in updating it.

Of course, I say this as someone who wouldn't have to do the packaging
or chase down bugs popping up in all the different configurations :)

Aaron