[fedora-java] gnuxml -> xerces/xalan?

Mark Wielaard mark at klomp.org
Tue Feb 6 09:14:52 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 16:41 -0500, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> From my perspective, a large percentage of our libgcj issues are
> xml-related.  Is there any way we could put xerces and/or xalan (or
> whatever) in the endorsed dir and make those our default for F7?

Which bug report are still pending? I have CCed Chris who might know
more about the state of any bugs. We do have some conformance tests on
builder which seem to indicate that the GNU XML libraries are in parts
more standards compliant (although I guess that doesn't help if your
application isn't using xml in a compliant way).
http://builder.classpath.org/xml/ These tests aren't automatically run,
but we could enable them in the daily builds.

And a slight problem with the alternative libraries is that at least for
GPl applications xerces and/or xalan come under an incompatible license
(GPLv3 will be compatible, but no applications use that yet). But we can
try to make only non-GPL works based on these libraries use them I
guess.

Cheers,

Mark