[fedora-java] default vm memory settings for fedora eclipse

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Fri Oct 5 14:33:46 UTC 2007

Thomas Fitzsimmons writes:
 > Andrew Haley wrote:
 > > Thomas Fitzsimmons writes:
 > >  > Andrew Haley wrote:
 > >  > > Andrew Overholt writes:

 > >  >
 > >  > I'd rather MaxPermSize be disabled entirely.  Upping the limit just puts
 > >  > off the OOM JVM crash, when really the kernel should be left to handle
 > >  > memory pressure.
 > >
 > > I can understand why you say so, but I don't think this is a good
 > > idea.  Sun's Java has never been tested with an unlimited MaxPermSize,
 > > so this would putting us into Space Cadet Explorer territory for
 > > AFAICS no important reason.
 >
 > Have you checked if there's a way to make MaxPermSize unlimited
 > using command-line options or other configuration hooks (i.e., in
 > ways that Sun probably would have tested)?  If removing the limit
 > requires intrusive patching then I'm fine with just setting it
 > "high".

It's really simple: it just limits PermGen expansion to the preset limit:

  // ...and no larger or smaller than our max and min allowed.
  desired_size = MAX2(MIN2(desired_size, _max_gen_size), _min_gen_size);
  assert(desired_size <= _max_gen_size, "just checking");

There's no special case for "unlimited" or anthing like that.  In any
case, we wouldn't want to prevent users from setting a limit if they
wanted one: that would be removing useful functionality.

Andrew.

--
Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, UK
Registered in England and Wales No. 3798903