[fedora-java] difficulties to use swt on fedora

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue Oct 9 07:19:18 UTC 2007

On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 05:27:43PM -0400, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> [2007-10-08 17:14]:
> > /usr/lib/eclipse/swt-gtk-3.3.jar
> >
> > Why not in /usr/share/java/swt.jar?
>
> It's in %{_libdir} 'cause it's got arch-specific stuff in it.  Care to
> submit a patch for eclipse.spec to add the version-less symlink?

I think that a version-less symlink should be in /usr/lib/eclipse,
but additionally, the version-less symlink should also be in a directory
allowing to do a yum install for the file and get it right, therefore in
a directory like:
/usr/lib/java
/usr/lib/java-ext
that are both owned by jpackage-utils. And empty in my setting. Would one
of those directories be suitable? If no I propose to add another one,
with name along
/usr/lib/java-jar
or
/usr/lib/java-lib

As a side note gcj depends on jpackage-utils but not ecj nor icedtea,
maybe they should? Or is it up to the package that installs something in
%{_libdir}/java* to depend on jpackage-utils?

> > On fc7, there seems to be a need to do
> >
> > export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/lib/eclipse/
>
> What VM is this with?

With gcj sure and ecj, if I recall well. Should I test other VM?
(Is icedtea on F7?)

On F8 I tested gcj and icedtea, and both worked fine.

--
Pat