[fedora-java] Dealing with LD_LIBRARY_PATH for a package using JNI

Mary Ellen Foster foster at in.tum.de
Tue Apr 8 12:51:51 UTC 2008

On 08/04/2008, Andrew Haley <aph at redhat.com> wrote:
> Mary Ellen Foster wrote:
>  > One thing I'm not sure how to deal with: libjpl.so is linked against
>  > libjava.so and libjvm.so. On my machine, that means I need to set
>  > LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
>  > /usr/lib/jvm/java/jre/lib/i386:/usr/lib/jvm/java/jre/lib/i386/client
>  > before I run Prolog, and the same is probably the case if I wanted to
>  > use the Java-to-Prolog direction.
>
> The command-line program 'java' already sets its LD_LIBRARY_PATH, so
>  it shouldn't be necessary when calling from Java.

Okay, so this is just a problem if I want to run Prolog and access
Java from inside there. Is it acceptable to tell people to set their
LD_LIBRARY_PATH if they want to use jpl in this direction? That's
essentially what upstream tells you to do (except they describe the
Windows case): http://www.swi-prolog.org/packages/jpl/installation.html

MEF

--
Mary Ellen Foster  --  http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/mef/
Informatik 6: Robotics and Embedded Systems, Technische Universität München