[fedora-java] java, eclipse and icedtea on fedora/redhat

Farkas Levente lfarkas at bppiac.hu
Tue Jan 22 14:38:02 UTC 2008

hi,
we start to do java development on fedora, but we've got a lots of
problems.
- first start with java compiler and vm. which one to use? we ca use
gcj/ecj or java/javac from icedtea. we'd like to use the first one but
it seems it's not enough most of the time:-(
- which eclipse to use? currently native compiled 3.3 eclipse included
in f8, but it has many problems. first of all it's too new. most of the
other eclipse plugins works only with 3.2 (vep, birt, swt-designer). the
other problem many plugins which not included in the fedora distro is
not compatible with the native compiled eclipse or the gcj is not enough
for them (ie. not run). like jna can't compile and run with gcj/ecj.
- the other problem in fedora's eclipse i can't set to use icedtea as
jre ie. even if it's installed it's not among the possible javac/java in
the project possible runtime enviroment (eclipse can't find icedtea).

we don't like to diverge far from the original fedora distro on the
other hand we'd like to use a few not packaged tools, libs plugins:-(

unfortunately it seems we've to switch all java development to windows,
because the current development environment setup takes much more effort
and time than it's worth to spend with it and just new and new problem
arises.

so my question what's the plan for f9? it's use icedtea or continue to
use two parallel vm/compiler etc? eclipse will be still natively compiled?