[fedora-java] [F8] Does eclipse work for you?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 22:09:07 UTC 2008

On Jan 26, 2008 2:35 PM, Dan Thurman <dant at cdkkt.com> wrote:

> F8, Fedora's native Eclipse, v3.3.0
>
> I am having a helluva time trying to get eclipse to work.  I had originally
> used the default eclipse installation when I installed the OS and running it
> came up at the time. As for updating Eclipse, I simply used Eclipse's
> software updater. But when I did that, I ran into conflicts especially
> dealing with Eclipse's 3.3.1 patches for which Fedora's eclipse is v3.3.0.
> What a nightmare.

I wonder if its possible to fire a pop-up here that warns about the
dangers of using the eclipse update system on core packages. Two
different packaging systems can cause loads of problems as you have
found out. I am guessing you did this update as root as it should not
have been able to 'change' your system files otherwise. If you didn't
do this as root, then my guess would be that its executing stuff from
your home directory still.

I would try the following to locate your issues:

1) Lets look for bad file packages:

/etc/cron.daily/prelink   # clean up prelinking for rpm -Va
rpm -Va &> /tmp/long_list # make a long list of all files that are changed.

egrep '^..5|missing' /tmp/long_list | grep -v ' c ' | awk '{print
$NF}' | xargs rpm -qf | sort | uniq

This should give you a list of packages that you will need to
reinstall or check.