[fedora-java] [BlueJ, Iced Tea, FC8] Getting errors when invoking methods

darrell pfeifer darrellpf at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 15:03:49 UTC 2008

Casper,

> To get started with Java on Fedora 8, I installed
> java-1.7.0-icedtea-devel - 1.7.0.0-0.19.b21.snapshot.FC8.i586
> as well as BlueJ using the .jar file from it's website.
>
> Used this command to start the BlueJ installation:
> /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0.0/jre/bin/java -jar
> bluej-221.jar.
> This worked fine and the installation linked to
> /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0.0 as the JDK directory.
>
> Loaded up BlueJ, imported the first project from the CD that came with
> the book. Creating new objects were no problem
> at all. However, as soon as I tried to invoke a method, I got this
> error: http://pastebin.com/m2efbebbd
>
> Here's a screenshot of BlueJ and the error as well:
> http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/5417/screenshoths0.png
>
> Java and Javac version match: http://pastebin.com/m2063432d

The Java compiler can generate bytecode for different/older java runtimes.
In this case the compiler has generated code that the runtime is unable to
use.

The compiler has a setting you can change. In the Eclipse IDE it is
Preferences/Compiler/JDK compliance. Typically there will be a similar
feature in BlueJ. It may be an option you can set via the GUI, or the IDE
may allow you to pass command line parameters to the compiler.

I'd suggest the highest setting (Java 5 or 6)

darrell