[fedora-java] libvirt-java bindings

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Thu Jul 3 07:03:04 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 12:27:51PM -0400, David Walluck wrote:

> Daniel Veillard wrote:
> |   I changed libvirt-java configure.in to walk the chain of symlinks
> starting
> | from javah/javac to find the JDK location and its includes.
> |   That seems to work pretty well in practice, and with that in place
> and the
> | -source 1.5 cleanup for ecj the package build and generates rpms without
> | problems on a variety of platforms:
>
> I thought Mary Ellen's email was to demonstrate how this method was bad,
> but you took this as a reason to adaopt it. Unless you think
> /usr/bin/ecj is not a valid Java compiler, then it's the method that's
> broken, not the compiler location.

  Why would I think ecj is not a valid Java compiler ? Stop assuming
the only problem with ecj was that it needed the -source 1.5 flags.

> It's your software, so you can do what you want. I am just telling you
> how Java on Linux has been working for the past five or so years.

  No, you did not tell me !

Moreover that knowledge you have accumulated for that time is *not*
availbale easilly as far as I can tell.
You have not provided answers to my problems, you have no right to vent
some frustrations if I appear to not have followed your indications (which
ones ? where ?).

  I think what I have done was reasonable, I went to the Fedora Packaging
guidelines, read and followed indications provided by
  /usr/share/doc/jpackage-utils-1.7.5/jpackage-utils-policy
But I had 3 concrete real problems I needed a solution for:

 1/ I needed a way to give the user the flexibility for the JDK used
 2/ I needed the include paths for the JNI headers
 3/ I needed a -source 1.5 options when compiling against the Eclipse compiler
    (thanks a lot Mary for the solution !)

Your answer as I understood it was:
  - that I should ignore 1/
  - that there were some RPM macros (undefined, just a list of macro names)
  - then started to vent about the fact that people don't do the Right Thing

Please go reread your answer, that's really what is in your reply to my mail !

Sorry maybe you're the authority on the topic, but based on your answer
that was far from obvious !
My approach has been to read the (apparently) appropriate Fedora packaging
page in the Wiki
  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Java
then read and follow the JPackage policy
  /usr/share/doc/jpackage-utils-1.7.5/jpackage-utils-policy
and since I still didn't found answers to 1/ 2/ /3 I asked on IRC, which is
why I ended up subscribing to that list and asked.

 Now please stop assuming people know what you know (otherwise we would not
be there asking), save one hour of your time to write down what you know
people should do when packaging JNI related sources (including answers to
at least 1/ and 2/) both for configure.in and for the spec file, with
examples and explanations of what the various macro do. You will save a lot
of time of people who just try to do the Right Thing (based on your viewpoint
I just wasted a day designing a solution which seems to work but doesn't and
testing it on a variety of setups) and save the frustration you seems to have
with the newbies.

 In a nutshell, cool down and do a brain dump as some proper documentation
on the Fedora Java Packaging page (or linked to it)

 It will make you and everyone else happier !

   Thanks in advance !

Daniel