[fedora-java] F9: Eclipse problems found

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Thu Sep 4 13:59:43 UTC 2008

Hi,

* Dan Thurman <dant at cdkkt.com> [2008-09-03 18:09]:
> Can I simply download just about any package from the
> Eclipse.org site, download it, and simply overlay it on
> top of the existing eclipse directory depending on if the

Just put it in your home directory.  Pick one of the Ganymede bundles
that includes the stuff you want to try.

> You say 'old' update manager - are you referring to the Update

The Update Manager from Eclipse <= 3.3.  There's a new one in 3.4 which
will be in Fedora 10.  It is being actively developed and we're trying
to ensure it works for our RPM case.

>> In the future, please file bugs for potential issues you find.  Thanks.
>>
> But I was not sure these are 'bugs' per-se but rather clueless which
> is why I posted here to get a better understanding of what is going
> on before filing a bug when it is not really a bug, but ignorance on
> my part.

Understood :)

> - worst - that I would
> be unable to remove anything with yum remove.

If you just explode the tarball somewhere in your home directory, it
will be self-contained.

> Is there a Fedora (8-9) link somewhere to get a newbie perspective on
> how eclipse ought to be installed and in the proper way?

Eclipse is hard to get right for everyone.  Fedora provides RPMs of the
SDK and some plugins that are popular/useful/etc.  These don't work for
everyone, it's impossible to support every plugin out there, etc.  Hence
me suggesting you try an upstream download to see if it suits your needs
better.

If you're just using our RPMs, things *should* work and you *should* be
able to install plugins seamlessly, etc.  Mucking with files in the
installation or doing things as root causes issues.

If you were able to download and install an eclipse.org offering on
Windows, you should be able to do the same on Linux (be it Fedora or
whatever).

> Thanks for taking the time with me!

Any time.

Andrew