[fedora-java] Packaging YaCy

Alexander Kahl akahl at imttechnologies.com
Tue Aug 11 08:04:29 UTC 2009

Hello dear Java developers and packagers,

this is my first post to this list.
I'm in the process of getting YaCy[1], a Java-based P2P distributed
search engine and its dependencies ready to be packaged for Fedora in
collaboration with upstream. While upstream was able to either kick out,
replace or fork unmaintained dependencies, some of them remain and in
turn pull in too many other dependencies I cannot handle myself so your
help is *really* appreciated.

In my opinion, YaCy would be a valuable addition to Fedora as it is
matured, leverages overall usability of the distribution as a
privacy-enhancing platform and we would be the *first* distro to offer a
fully-integrated version of YaCy so please consider helping out, I'd
really appreciate that!

You can find the current state of progress at my Fedora People Space[2],
the org-mode file[3] contains all dependencies and their current
solutions.
PDFBox[4] and FontBox[5] have been successfully ported from JPackage and
are ready for review, jakarta-poi still needs porting from JPackage,
jakarta-commons-fileupload is already maintained but the maintainer is
unresponsive and we need a newer version. jakarta-commons-jxpath[6] is
currently my biggest problem: It is owned but unreleased so I've
acquired co-maintainership but ran into the problem that building
requires mockrunner[7] which in turn pulls in so many dependencies (e.g.
mockejb) I cannot handle myself.

There is a thread[8] (in German only, sorry) about the ongoing
collaboration with upstream; they have another board[9] for discussions
in English the thread could also be continued at.

Help! :)

Regards
Alex

[1] http://yacy.net/