[fedora-java] Very slow Eclipse on F10

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Mon Jan 26 12:48:59 UTC 2009

Mary Ellen Foster wrote:
> Before I file this in bugzilla, I wanted to check if it's just my
> problem ... Lately, in Eclipse (3.4.1 on Fedora 10), I've been
> noticing that it takes several seconds to open a new editor. So if I
> click on a Java source file (in Java perspective), the new tab appears
> immediately, but it takes several seconds for the actual editor to
> finish rendering. In the meantime, the tab just says "Java editor".
> Similar things happen with the Ant buildfile editor.
>
> I have several third-party plugins installed that I don't want to
> remove unless I have to, which is why I wanted to check first -- is
> anyone else seeing similar symptoms?

It depends on which Java you have installed.  Try this:

 $ alternatives --config java

There are 2 programs which provide 'java'.

  Selection    Command
*+ 1           /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-openjdk.x86_64/bin/java
   2           /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.5.0-gcj/bin/java

If you're on x86, select openjdk.  If you don't see openjdk,

yum install java-1.6.0-openjdk-devel

Andrew.