[fedora-java] Re: aot-compile-rpm and bouncycastle

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 19:02:41 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 8:08 AM, Andrew Haley wrote:
> Andrew Haley wrote:
>> Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>>> Sure Andrew. Just in rawhide or in stable branches too?
>
> I think this should be fixed everywhere.

Okay. How about all the other packages that depend on bouncycastle? Do
they need rebuilt?

>>> Am I doing the right thing? Or are AOT bits still important for java
>>> 1.6 packages? (which doesn't make sense to me)
>>>
>>> Can you explain the dynamics laying behind so we can have more insight?
>>
>> I'll tell you later.
>
> The problem with debuginfo isn't that gcj doesn't support Java 1.6, it's that
> no debuginfo is being generated at all.

I'm really curious about the explanation. :)

> I just tried this package with gcj, and the specfile needed a couple of
> changes:

> -  javac -target 1.5 `find . -type f -name "*.java"`
> +  javac -g -target 1.5 `find . -type f -name "*.java"`

Ah, I thought I did this before. I verified that it works. I'll
rebuild the bouncycastle* packages with AOT bits.

> By the way, I don't understand this:
>
> BuildRequires:    java-devel >= 1.7
> Requires:         java >= 1.7
>
> why 1.7 ?

That's a harmless old habit. Back in the day when we had icedtea, it
was providing java 1.7. Then when we switched to openjdk, it started
providing java 1:1.6 (note the epoch).
1:1.6 is always greater than 1.7 and the above BR and R covers both
icedtea and openjdk but leaves gcj out..

But now that I see that the jar files can be produced by just gcj, I
will lower 1.7 to 1.5
Orcan