[fedora-java] Does 1.4.2_08 support StringBuffer and Generics

ohaya at cox.net ohaya at cox.net
Wed Jul 22 20:56:25 UTC 2009

Hi,

I had some Java code that I was trying to move to a Redhat machine, but encountered some Java versioning problems.  The machine that I was working on had 1.4.2_08 version of gcj, so I tried to compile my source there, but got errors, indicating that it couldn't resolve the StringBuffer class.

That gcj also had problems with Generics in my code, i.e., it didn't like something like:

List<classX> xxxx = new ArrayList<classX>();

So, I was wondering, does that version of gcj support these two things?

Also, if not, then is there a version of gcj that does, or should I get Sun's JDK installed instead?

Thanks,
Jim