[fedora-java] The default java alternative?

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue May 5 17:43:59 UTC 2009

Andrew Overholt (overholt at redhat.com) said:
> * Andrew Haley <aph at redhat.com> [2009-05-05 10:51]:
> > The best defaults for koji are probably gcj on non-x86 machines and
> > openjdk on x86 machines.
>
> If I say "yum install java-devel" what gets installed?  How is it
> determined?

Via the comps file. The current java development group is attached. By
default, installing the group gets you the 'mandatory' and 'default'
packages.

The comps file does not have arch-specific bits, so doing gcj on
non-x86 and openjdk on x86 isn't really practical, without a lot
of metapackages.

Bill