[fedora-java] Should the rebuilt java-1.5.0-gcj go to F-11 ?

Stepan Kasal skasal at redhat.com
Tue May 12 16:29:54 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I have fixed a bug in F-11 and I need your help for decision whether
the fixed package should be pushed to F11 Alpha or whether it should
stay away from F11 itself and released as a 0-day update.

As you probably know, a mass rebuild was performed during F-11
development (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_11_Mass_Rebuild)

java-1.5.0-gcj  has resisted all attempts to be rebuilt, so the
latest build was (until now) java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0-25.fc11,
predating the mass rebuild.

This build contained a i386.rpm for x86, not i586 (the i586 change
was one of the reasons for the rebuild).
But yum "frowned upon" the i386 rpm, leading to the consequence that
the openjdk java was preferred on x86, while gcj was preferred on all
other archs, including x86_64.
This can be puzzling; we have discussed this in the thread I started
a few days ago.

I have worked around the bug that prevented java-1.5.0-gcj from
rebuilding (it was #500314, if you are curious) and rebuilt it.
Consequently, gcj is again the preferred java on all architectures.

This new build of java-1.5.0-gcj is ready for the future rawhide
(dist-f12) and also for F-11.  The question is how it should be
included to F-11: it can be either a 0-day update or we can push it
to F11 Alpha.

Before pushing to F11 Alpha, we have to judge the wins and the risk.
- the win is removing the above confusing inconsistency
- But what are the risks that this change introduces a new bug to F11
  Alpha?  I need your help here as I do not understand Java.

Would you recommend including the rebuilt java-1.5.0-gcj to Fedora 11
itself?

Cheers,
	Stepan