[fedora-java] Should the rebuilt java-1.5.0-gcj go to F-11 ?

Stepan Kasal skasal at redhat.com
Wed May 13 10:08:43 UTC 2009

Hello,

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 10:39:33AM -0600, Jerry James wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Stepan Kasal <skasal at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Before pushing to F11 Alpha, we have to judge the wins and the risk.
> > - the win is removing the above confusing inconsistency
> > - But what are the risks that this change introduces a new bug to F11
> >  Alpha?  I need your help here as I do not understand Java.
>
> If I understand what you did correctly, the sources for gcj have not
> changed at all, right? [...]

right.  It's almost sure that my change has no impact on the package
itself, it only overcomes a bug in the build environment.

> [...] then I would say that the risk is very low and the
> benefits are desirable.

Well, you can "never enter the same river" (multiple tanslations, but
I hope you can deduce what quote I mean).
The build from Dec 2008 can differ from the current one because the
build environment has changed.  The package is just a bunch of
symlinks, but anyway.
Moreover, the rawhide so far worked with the current packages, so ww
might assume there was some testing that proved that other java
packages work the current mix; when we change a component, that
"testing" is invalidated.

> Yes, if for no other reason than that it will stop confusing
> maintainers who are trying to build Java packages.

OK, I'll file a ticket.

Stepan