[fedora-java] The default java alternative?

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Tue May 5 14:51:07 UTC 2009

Stepan Kasal wrote:

>   I noticed that "BuildRequire: java-devel" is interpreted
> differently on different architectures.  Namely, it evaluates
> java-1.5.0-gcj-devel on ppc{,64} and x86_64 but to
> java-1.6.0-openjdk-devel on i586.
> I observed this in rawhide koji.
>
> This inconsistency brings various problems, like totally different
> documentations builds between i586 and x86_64 (javadoc vs. sinjdoc)
> or arch-dependent bugs, e.g., jni.h not found on i586 (#498964).

This isn't really a bug.  If the package requires jni.h then it'll
be in /usr/lib/jvm/java/include, regardless of gcj or openjdk.

> What's the intended default and who is the guilty one here?

Packages should generally be buildable on both.  If they're not, they
can be marked, e.g. as dependent on openjdk.

The best defaults for koji are probably gcj on non-x86 machines and
openjdk on x86 machines.  openjdk does work on PPC, but it is very slow
and will lead to much greater load on the PPC build boxes.

Andrew.