[fedora-java] Is GCJ still really necessary?

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 21:41:29 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Mary Ellen Foster wrote:
> What's the benefit of doing the GCJ AOT-compilation steps as defined
> in https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/GCJGuidelines? Doesn't
> everyone just use OpenJDK these days? It adds a bunch of extra stuff
> to every Java spec file and makes all java packages arch-specific
> instead of noarch, which always feels a bit weird ...
>
> MEF

Ah the famous topic :)

I think the latest explanation for the AOT bits were that they are
still needed in ppc* architectures because openjdk is still slow on
those machines.

I don't know if this has changed since. But from F-13 on, I expect
that we will drop the AOT bit requirement since ppc* won't be primary
architectures anymore.

Orcan