[fedora-java] What does the maven "groupId" mean?

Mary Ellen Foster mefoster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 14:30:29 UTC 2009

Looking more closely at my current /etc/maven/maven2-depmap.xml file,
I notice a range of conventions for what fragments are called. Here
are a few examples:

For jakarta-commons-lang (from Fedora):
<dependency>
    <maven>
        <groupId>lang</groupId>
        <artifactId>lang</artifactId>
        <version>2.3</version>
    </maven>
    <jpp>
        <groupId>JPP</groupId>
        <artifactId>jakarta-commons-lang</artifactId>
        <version>2.3</version>
    </jpp>
</dependency>

For jakarta-commons-logging (from JPackage):
<dependency>
    <maven>
        <groupId>commons-logging</groupId>
        <version>1.1</version>
    </maven>
    <jpp>
        <groupId>JPP</groupId>
        <version>1.1</version>
    </jpp>
</dependency>

For ant (from Fedora):
<dependency>
    <maven>
        <groupId>org.apache.ant</groupId>
        <artifactId>ant</artifactId>
        <version>1.7.1</version>
    </maven>
    <jpp>
        <groupId>JPP</groupId>
        <artifactId>ant</artifactId>
        <version>1.7.1</version>
    </jpp>
</dependency>

For aqute-bindlib (from Fedora):
<dependency>
    <maven>
        <groupId>biz.aQute</groupId>
        <artifactId>bndlib</artifactId>
        <version>0.0.363</version>
    </maven>
    <jpp>
        <groupId>JPP</groupId>
        <artifactId>aqute-bndlib</artifactId>
        <version>0.0.363</version>
    </jpp>
</dependency>

So should the groupId be the package name, the full project name, the
sub-project name, or what? And what's the role of the "JPP" part in
all of this? There seem to be several different conventions going on

Thanks for any light you can shed,

MEF

--
Mary Ellen Foster -- http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/~mef3/
Interaction Lab -- http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/InteractionLab

Heriot-Watt University is a Scottish charity registered under charity
number SC000278