acpi confusion

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Mon Aug 11 18:41:54 UTC 2003

On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 07:07:50PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
>  So I have an ibm x23 laptop. nothing terribly fancy. With severn I
> noticed that the sound played far too slowly. Meaning - when I played an
> ogg it sounded like it was being played at the wrong speed if it were a
> record.
>
> So I filed a bug about it b/c the sound worked under rhl 9 just fine.
> The suggestion was to disable acpi and see if that fixed it.
>
> it did. the sound works as expected now. However, the laptop runs a lot
> hotter than it used to.

That sounds like a bug -- you should get APM if acpi is disabled;
if you don't, then filing a bug would be good.

> So I was wondering if someone could explain the acpi stuff in more
> details. It was proposed to me by someone on #rhl-devel that maybe
> someone here could give an uncensored summary of the acpi stuff in the
> kernel and it's relative stability level, etc.

Well, IRT relative stability, go to bugzilla and do a query for kernel
bugs, and look to see how many of them go away when acpi=off is
specified.

A lot of the bits of ACPI don't really work under 2.4, including sleeping.
The only reason we included it was for the configuration bits -- device
enumeration.  As an "APM replacement" it really isn't quite all there in
2.4.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/