up2date and apt/yum repositories

Paul Nasrat pauln at truemesh.com
Tue Aug 26 11:55:42 UTC 2003

I've been doing some testing using

up2date-3.9.13-2

Firstly an obvious should bail is:

up2date --get-source against a yum url, I believe yum-arch now indexes
headers of src.rpms but when running against fedora I get:

up2date --get-source synaptic
synaptic-0.43.1-0.fdr.1.rh90.93.src.rpm...
There was some sort of I/O error: HTTP Error 404: Not Found

Should we ignore src.rpm headers in yum archives as the path to them is
not necessarily obvious (parallel with yum directory, or a subdirectory,
etc).

This is better than with up2date-3.9.6-1 where it would download the
html error page :)

In addition I just tried to update to kernel test4 from arjanv's
repository (using apt up2date):

up2date --nox --force kernel
Test install failed because of package conflicts:
file /lib/modules from install of kernel-2.6.0-0.test4.1.32 conflicts
with file from package filesystem-2.2.1-4

rpm -qf /lib/modules/
filesystem-2.2.1-4
kernel-2.4.21-20.1.2024.2.1.nptl
kernel-2.6.0-0.test3.1.31

This seems odd to me as both kernel-2.4 spec and kernel 2.6 specs are
consistent in having /lib/modules in them, am I missing something
obvious as this should work.

Paul