up2date for testing (with apt/yum/dir repo support)

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at redhat.com
Sun Aug 17 01:09:34 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 14:30, Adrian Likins wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 01:32:05PM -0400, Sean Estabrooks wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 23:19:44 -0400
> > Adrian Likins <alikins at redhat.com> wrote:
> >

> > > http://people.redhat.com/~alikins/up2date/severn/
> > >
> > > New up2date for testing. Somewhat notable new
> > > feature of support for 3rd party yum and apt
> > > repos. See /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources for info
> > > on configuring them (docs to come).
> > >
> > > In addition to the apt/yum repos, it also
> > > now supports using a local dir of rpms as
> > > a "repo"
> > >
> > > Feedback appreciated (usually ;-> )
> > >

> > Must one register with redhat to use up2date against a local repo?
> >
> 	Yes. At the moment at least, though I don't have any
> plans to change that at this point.
>
> > One problem i had was caused by an old systemid file from the 7.3 era.
> > No matter what i typed i got the error shown below.  It would be nice
> > if rhn_register had a --force option or even better ask if it should
> > ignore or use the the current systemid file.
> >
> 	`up2date --register` or `rhn_register --register` will
> "force" a reregister.
>
> Adrian

A few little problems I noted, first was that the file sizes of any
packages from an apt or yum repo are listed as '0', which made me
hesitate to install from them until I verified I was getting real files.
Second, it might be nice to have up2date offer to download the GPG-KEY
from those apt and yum repos that support GPG, of course that might
require mods to apt and yum first, or you could assume the GPG key to be
at the same location as the repository. Lastly, I noticed that freshrpms
has an apt/yum rawhide channel with newer packages than I had installed.
I had noted the anaconda package with a version of 9.0.94. I used
up2date-config to change the versionOverride=9.0.94 in the hopes that
there was an official channel. I was wrong of course, and it prevented
both up2date and up2date-config from running. I had to edit the config
file manually to recover from my stupidity. I don't think up2date-config
should require you to be in a valid channel to start up and change
settings.

You want these in Bugzilla, I presume?

--
Chris Kloiber