Fedora minimal install option

Mako Gabor makgab at freemail.hu
Wed Dec 3 07:12:13 UTC 2003

02-Dec-2003 fedora-devel-list-request at redhat.com:
> From: Robert Marcano <robert at marcanoonline.com>
>
> If I remember correctly, you can use the custom option, and on the
> package selection screen yo can choose Minimum Install or Full Install,
> the last two options (The last time i saw those options was using RH9, i
> don't remember if Fedora still has them)

The custom install allow the packages selection. But I could not see it in the
Fedore Core 1. :(
If I don't select packages in the custom install option, then the Linux (Fedora
and RH9) install ~900MB. It is too many for minimal. It contains many
packages that are not necessary (for examples redhat-artwork etc.).

> From: Klaasjan Brand <kjb at dds.nl>
>
> I don't know exactly how small you can get Fedora (anyone? :), but you

I would like the absolute minimal packages! :)

> can do a custom install and only install packages you really need. If
> you create a "kickstart" install script you can repeat the same
> installation for multiple systems.

Kickstart? How can I create it?

> From: Rui Miguel Seabra <rms at 1407.org>
>
> I haven't looked into Fedora Core's Minimum Install yet, but RedHat's
> Minimum Install is _all_but_minimal_.

I haven't seen the minimal install option in RedHat.

> A Minimum Install should look _almost_ like an OpenBSD default boot:
>
>   No services active (BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT EVEN INSTALLED)
>   NO X.
>   Just the necessary to boot and make post install installations.

Yes, I want it! :)
I would like minimal install then reboot system and if necessary I install
the additional packages (like Debian Linux :)).

Bye!
Gabor