DHCP VCI (was: Fedora Core 2 wishlists)

Dax Kelson dax at gurulabs.com
Tue Dec 9 05:23:47 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 19:08, Rudi Chiarito wrote:

> Then there's DHCP Vendor Class Identifier support for pump and Anaconda.
> My understanding is that this made it to Red Hat's internal CVS
> repository, but - quite obviously - was a bit late for FC1. I have
> uploaded separate new patches for FC1 and RH9, along with source and
> binary packages:
>
> http://uberh4x0r.org/~yax/dhcp_classid/

Rudi, a couple comments on the VCI patch.

Isn't the main goal here so that the DHCP can return conditional

IMO, it should send a VCI by default. If it doesn't and it requires
specifying the ksclass option, I might as well type the explicit path to
the kickstart file (ala ks=http://server/foo.ks).

The default VCI should identify:

* The distro (RHEL, Fedora, Debian, etc)
* The version of the distro (version of Anaconda?)
* The CPU architecture

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs