MySQL client libraries licensing (was Fedora Core 2 wishlists)

Nils O. Selåsdal nos at utel.no
Wed Dec 10 11:20:17 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 11:49, Yovko Lambrev wrote:
> Daniel Veillard wrote:
> |   Completely wrong... where did you get this idea ?!
> |   rpm -qa --queryformat '%{License}\n' | sort | uniq | wc -l
> |      61
>
> OK! I'm wrong! It was hyperbolization... Sorry!
> I just cannot accept that the reason to not include MySQL 4.x is the GPL
> license...

The thing is that including mysql 4 most likely means replacing mysql 3
with mysql 4. That renders a few other packages in fedora core that uses
the mysql libraries "illegal". And I for one would really not GPL our code
that uses mysql. There are a few things one could do:
Include both mysql 3 and 4 in Fedora Core. Packages that uses the client libraries
would link to the mysql 3 ones.
Or, remove mysql support for the packages that will have license problems
with the GPL'ed libraries.

--
Vennlig hilsen/Best Regards
Nils Olav Selåsdal