fedora-devel not up-to-date with fedora-yarrow-updates? (please fix)

Fri Dec 12 09:04:26 UTC 2003

Le jeu 11/12/2003 à 20:45, Nalin Dahyabhai a écrit :
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 01:07:21PM -0500, Chris Ricker wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Nalin Dahyabhai wrote:
> > > These are in testing still.  Once they're out of testing, I don't see a
> > > reason why they wouldn't end up in the development tree.
> >
> > That, at least to me, is confusing. I thought the idea was that stuff should
> > go
> >
> > development -> testing -> release
> >
> > not
> >
> > testing -> released
> >         -> development
> >
> > (I saw development as being less stable than testing)
>
> There is testing for updates (these packages) and testing for the
> distribution (the development tree).  In my mind, they *have* to be
> separate trees if you want testing of updates to be useful.
>
> Put another way, if you're testing an FC1 update, you test it for
> deployment on an FC1 box with previously-released updates installed
> because that's the type of system on which it will ultimately be
> required to function properly.  You don't test an FC1 update on an FC2
> development box, because environmental (in the general sense, not shell
> variable) differences can invalidate the testing.

However people who test rawhide do want the latest security updates. So
on a F2 development box people *will* be subscribed to the FC1 updates.
(being ready to accept the random beta crashes is not the same as being
ready to accept an insecure system)

Unless someone checks security updates are always available for devel
when they hit updates, which has never been the case (speaking from past
experience).

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Mailhot