Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Colin Charles linux at bytebot.net
Fri Dec 19 08:29:22 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 21:41, Brent Fox wrote:

> > We should not get rid of the user group of folk with older PCs.
> > Developing countries will tend to use Fedora (since they can't afford
> > RHEL), and will usually have older hardware. These people tend to hear
> > of Red Hat, and will of course benefit greatly from Fedora. Don't chase
> > them away...
>
> I never said anything about chasing anybody away.  All I suggested was
> that perhaps machines with this level of computing power could be better
> served by a Fedora sub-project as opposed to the main project.  It could
> still be under the Fedora banner, just not the main trunk.

Fair enough, so I guess this will spawn something like the Fedora LiveCD
project.

My perspective is for developing countries and schools that like to use
Red Hat Linux. And no, Red Hat's educational discount for schools is not
like what RHL9 provided[1]. And from a developing country, I guess I do
realise that we have much old(er) hardware lying around.

> But anyway, I'm not speaking in any official capacity about the future
> of Fedora...I'm just giving one developer's opinion.  I do, however,
> feel that it is wise to accept that one distribution cannot satisfy all
> classes of machines and users.

Agreed. Thanks for the positive comments Brent. Even if someone does
bring up the Debian method of running on just about any hardware, some
bleeding edge hardware tends to only be supported on Fedora for
instance. So, its never a win-win situation (heck, even Windows XP won't
run on old boxen).

But just keep in mind developing countries, poorer nations, and
educational institutions.

[1] - Paul Gear writes...
http://gear.dyndns.org/~paulgear/the_page_formerly_known_as_rhel.html
(if you haven't already seen it)