Excessive package interdependency

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Fri Dec 19 13:42:17 UTC 2003

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 16:46 -0500, Chris Ricker wrote:
> > It is collected to some extent. There's always a list at the end of the
> > RELEASE-NOTES file....
>
> Which has no guarantee of being complete -- it's again big ticket items
> that people think about getting put in there.

But it's the "big ticket" items we want to ask about, not "yet another
stupid random library used only by one obscure little gnome applet"....

> > Perhaps an alternative on upgrades would just be to say that all installed
> > apps are being upgraded, and ask the user if they'd like a list of
> > available applications which could be added during installation?
>
> I'd say I have a lot of packages installed on my machines (all have at
> least 1000, many more).  But even in that case, I'm going to have a list
> of 500 or so packages to go through with something like this.  And it's
> going to include a lot of cruft and things that aren't useful leaf
> packages.

Not a list. The standard r-c-packages screen in group mode that anaconda
already shows during new installs. After finding the packages to upgrade,
ask if they want to see other available packages, and if so, show them the
groups. Just give people the chance to customize, rather than forcing stuff
on them they may or may not want.

later,
chris