Yet another futuristic wishlist item

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Dec 19 22:32:41 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 12:16 -0500, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> And last time I tried vanilla kernel I
> compiled didn't parsed them and I completely removed that.

The kernel doesn't natively handle them at all -- you'll need to create
an initrd to handle mounting root by label.

> A few digits (4) from hdd's UUID may be a good option to prepend.

This could be a reasonable idea to make labels more unique.  Makes them
a lot harder to guess, though, unfortunately.  Also constrains things
somewhat on other filesystems where the label space is even shorter (xfs
is 12 chars, iirc)

Cheers,

Jeremy