MapiVi - Linux Image Management Software

Keith G. Robertson-Turner redhat-forums at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Mon Dec 1 23:34:27 UTC 2003

Image Management Software is a bit thin on the ground in the Linux
world. Apart from Kalbum and Gthumb (neither one of which has IPTC
editing) the only app available seems to be MapiVi (Martin's Picture
Viewer - http://herrmanns-stern.de/software/mapivi/mapivi.shtml

After some considerable effort, I managed to get this installed on
Yarrow, however I'd like to do something to make this available as a
Fedora'ized set of RPMs. The problem is, that MapiVi is dependent on a
number of components that are poorly maintained and almost impossible to
acquire in RPM or even SRPM form.

The Perl module sources I worked from were obtained mainly using the
cpan tool, but if anyone has any links to either RPMs or SRPMs that
install/compile properly under Yarrow, I'd be very grateful.

Here's the components I need, preferably in SRPM form:

MapiVi		- I'm working on an RPM now	- Work In Progress
libjpeg-6b-29	- With the lossless patch	- Done
Image Magick	- Included with Yarrow		- Done
****
Perl/Tk		- Where's the source, Luke?	- Lost In Space
Image::Info	- Ditto				- Ditto
****
Tk::JPEG	- Done				- Done
Image::IPTCInfo - Done				- Done

The Perl/Tk thing has me stumped. Has it been dropped? Is GTk the new
Tk? What is the relationship between Tk, GTk and tcl? What is the
specific reason that Perl/Tk is not a core part of the distro? Is it too
old and crap ... to put it bluntly?

--
Keith G. Robertson-Turner

"The only liberties people have, are those they take."
Palladium is not the solution, it is the problem.
www.antitcpa.com