Fedora LiveCD : Looking for Betatesters - Port of redhat 9.0base to fedora core 1

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Tue Dec 2 21:07:28 UTC 2003

Alan Cox wrote:
> Sure, and thats one of the big reasons that Fedora is a trademark, so
> it stands for something in terms of quality and protects the name and
> the users.
> However if someone puts together a LiveCD worthy of the Fedora name there
> is no fundamental reason it can't become a "Fedora LiveCD" providing its
> up to it.

Sure, no fundamental reason that this community could not embrace a liveCD or
even several liveCD images that filled specific niche roles (like an
easy bake mosix cluster node.) As long as the software incorporated into
the liveCD was all officially blessed code. I think i even weakly held
out an olive branch about that in my wrap up paragraph. I did most of
the fist pounding in that post because the discussion was veering off
about features that fedora core will not have, like ntfs support were
claiming are prerequisites for a 'useful' demoing liveCD.  So their
might not be a fundamental issue with having a blessed liveCD
image...but somehow, given the non-technical constraints, I'm not all
that sure there is going to be a groundswell of community desire to
build a liveCD image that stays within the non-technical constraints
that a trademark blessing would demand.  If a demo liveCD image requires
ntfs support, then official demo liveCD image is pretty much a
non-starter.  Though fedora branded easy-bake cluster node liveCD would
be..fascinating, though somewhat resource limited if they had to run out
of ramdisk, which would take away from the available ram resources to
run on each cluster node.

-jef