Red Carpet ?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Wed Dec 3 21:56:58 UTC 2003

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Mike Snitzer wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 03 2003 at 12:46,
> Steven Pritchard <steve at silug.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 06:37:45PM +0100, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > > I understand apt allows something called pinning but I have never had
> > > the courage to configure it :)
> >
> > You should.  Try the following in /etc/apt/preferences:
> >
> > Package: *
> > Pin: release c=os
> > Pin-Priority: 992
> >
> > Package: *
> > Pin: release c=stable
> > Pin-Priority: 991
>
> See but this doesn't allow you to pick and choose from os and stable; it
> forces os packages to override stable packages.  I'd imagine that with
> enough effort apt-rpm (via lua) could be made to allow such choosy
> selection of available packages within various APT components.

The current pinning support does permit almost any kind of combination ..
BUT it requires that the repositories are set up in a way that allows it,
in a compatible way. Since there meaning of the various release file
entries are hardly even documented, never mind standardized on in
RHL/Fedora environment that leaves awfully lot of stuff into "gee I hope
so" zone.

But yes, having a sane concept of channels without having to headscratch
with pinning and it's oddities in apt would be really, really nice.

	- Panu -