rebuilding libs with debug symbols

Will Cohen wcohen at redhat.com
Thu Dec 4 16:42:07 UTC 2003

rlee at fpcc.net wrote:
> How do we (the big we) build and install libraries that are not stripped?
>
> Should I modify spec files so that libs don't get the strip and re-install
> them?
>
> Or do I install the *debug rpms that are created when building srpms and
> link to those (if so there seems to be some murky details on how to do
> this).

Installing the debuginfo rpms would be the preferred way. There is no
question that the executable being debugged is the same as the one in
the RPM. The debuginfo RPMS install just like any other RPM. The GDB and
OProfile in the Fedora RPMs should have no problems reading the data
installed by the debuginfo RPMs.

-Will