Fedora minimal install option

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Thu Dec 4 21:19:14 UTC 2003

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 02:20:44PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Mako Gabor (makgab at freemail.hu) said:
> > Ohh yes. RedHat/Fedora should have a minimal kernel (like other linux
> > distributions) for the installation progress and otherwise. :)
>
> I believe you misunderstand the issues. It's not the kernel
> that prevents installing on a 32MB machine.

To explain more: its mostly anaconda. With miniconda hacks you can get
down to about 64Mb (actually CD fedora will install fine on a 64Mb box
anyway). Below that needs lots of rpm transactions not one if I understood
jbj right (but dont quote me on it ;))

With yum I don't care too much. Other than for testing it seems yum is
good enough I've done the last install