top problems

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Fri Dec 5 17:22:59 UTC 2003

Hi,

I have three machines running FC1.  On those three, when I run top to
check system usage, I see the load averages at sane values.

The lines displaying CPU usage are totally off. Either they're all at
0%, or irq, softirq and iowait are sharing everything among themselves,
like this:

CPU states:  cpu    user    nice  system    irq  softirq  iowait    idle
           total    0,0%    0,0%    0,0%  33,3%    33,4%   33,1%    0,0%

Is anyone else seeing this ? Is this a known bug in top ? The only thing
similar on the three machines is that I'm running stuff niced as well,
but it shouldn't matter...

Thomas