Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Brent Fox bfox at redhat.com
Mon Dec 8 20:21:45 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 11:28, adam at ausics.net wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Karl DeBisschop wrote:
>
> > 3) better definition of a truly bare-bones server install
>
> I support this one.
>
> Why must I waste min 64 megs ram on an old gateway box, I like the idea of
> able to bare bones install on 32 megs ram or less, i have a 486 gw box
> ran for years, no need to upgrade it for what it does, still runs a VERY
> ancient version of RH because it has 8 megs ram and nothing since rh6 will
> install, to put a modern OS on it i could put slackware, but why
> slackware, when RH should do this as it used to, a text install should
> use SFA as it doesnt need gui..

/me points to Fedora Core Objective #1 at
http://fedora.redhat.com/about/objectives.html:

"Create a complete general-purpose operating system with capabilities
equivalent to competing operating systems..."

In my opinion, targeting old machines with low ram is more of a
special-purpose task and is outside the scope of Objective #1.  Seems
like it would be better suited to a Fedora sub-project.

Cheers,
   Brent