Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Philip Wyett philip at wyett.net
Mon Dec 8 21:15:44 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 20:17, Trae McCombs wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 14:40, Philip Wyett wrote:
> > >
> > > Why not GNOME? I prefer KDE.
> > > Just seriously, I think both *must* be included.
> > >

> > Well... other than I prefer Gnome, there is no reason at all why Gnome
> > should not be the one to go. My real point is I think we are reaching a
> > point of critical mass (or soon will) with the larger Window Managers,
> > their apps and for the sake of distro size and to allow additional much
> > needed tools in - one may have to go.
>
> I know I'm going to get flamed for this one... But here goes.
>
> 1st idea: Make Fedora strictly GNOME based.

To reduce development effort down to one Window manager, making the
choice between the big two would be the best solution IMHO.

/me is now being real careful not to say which one!

> 2nd idea: Have two different ISO bases for GNOME or KDE

I'm getting a headache just thinking about this one.

> 3rd idea: Split Window Managers / Desktop enviorments out to a disc3.
> Then, you simply download: ISO 1 and 2, and then make disc3 WM/DE
> dependent.  You could download: fedora_core-disc3-KDE.iso  or
> fedora-core-disc3-GNOME.iso

Hmm...

An idea certainly. Soon to be squashed by an RH employee soon I expect!

> Again, please don't read this in as KDE bashing, I think KDE is pretty
> nifty myself.  I've used it for years at a time.  I simply think
> worrying about different desktops, divides an effort to truly move
> forward.

I also use KDE with Fedora and other distro's. A concern for me is lots
of things in distro's all doing the same or similar things, this is why
I brought this up. Yup, I know we get into that old nugget of choice and
getting the balance right for everyone is virtually impossible <sigh>.

Regards

Philip Wyett

Email: philip at wyett.net
Website: http://www.wyett.net