Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Jaap A. Haitsma jaap at haitsma.org
Mon Dec 8 21:24:02 UTC 2003

Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> "Michael K. Johnson" <johnsonm at redhat.com> writes:

>>>I know this option but it's far to simple. AFAIK it doesn't adapt if you
>>>take a break your self. WorkRave really measures your activity and
>>>forces you to have small micro breaks if your mousing or typing. If you
>>>are reading it doesn't stop you.
>>
>>So this, in opinion, would be a place to take up the discussion of
>>enhancing GNOME's included support, rather than having lots of
>>different tools that try, with varying amounts of success, to do
>>the same job.
>

> Workrave is more of an AT tool than the simple typing break that comes
> with GNOME.  I believe there was discussion of finding a way to put it
> in the 'Assistive Technologies' dialog in the past -- you could look
> through the desktop-devel-list at gnome.org and
> gnome-accessibility-list at gnome.org archives for more information.
>
> It might be nice to ship it for FC2 as-is anyway, but we'd have to make
> sure it doesn't have weird interaction with the current typing break.

Yes, the author of workrave told me this. In the end they didn't make it
into 2.4 because they had to have a release within a week or so and were
not able to manage that. I saw on the desktop-devel-list that they
already wanted to call Gnome 2.4 "The caring desktop". Not bad from a
marketing point I guess ;-)

Jaap