Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Philip Wyett philip at wyett.net
Mon Dec 8 21:27:25 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 20:54, Stan Bubrouski wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 13:06, Philip Wyett wrote:
>
> > Ooh wishlist time :)
> >
> > 1. Inclusion of speex so it can be made use of in Gnome Meeting and
> >    leveraged in other applications e.g. accessibility and games etc.
> >

> Is speex stable enough yet?

Seems to be quite stable in the 1.0.x releases. Not personally moved to
the 1.1.x unstables yet to check where speex is at present in
development.

> > 2. Inclusion of valgrind - A very useful dev tool!
> >
> > 3. Inclusion of Sweep or equally good simple audio editor.
> >
> > 4. Removal of KDE. Ok, this ain't likely, but I'd personally like to
> >    see it go in favour of making the distro richer tool wise and still 3
> >    binary CD's.
> >
> > 5. Inclusion of Theora etc. etc. :) Maybe not for FC2, but FC really
> >    needs video support and tools.
> >

> Theora is only in CVS correct?  And on a side note I have yet to compile
> a working Theora library from ogg cvs yet on FC1.  Numerous unresolved
> symbols when trying to link anything against the libs.  I'm doubtful on
> this till it at least links correctly on FC1.

Yes, other than the quite dated alpha's Theora is CVS. As of the last
time I built Theora (which was a while ago now) it did require you have
the nightly vorbis snapshot to add newer features which are needed for
successful Theora builds. When I get some spare time (which does happen
occasionally, but is rare at the mo) I will checkout how Theora is with
FC1 at the present time - Unless of course someone else can answer the
question? :)

Regards

Philip Wyett

Email: philip at wyett.net