Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Xose Vazquez Perez xose at wanadoo.es
Tue Dec 9 00:25:27 UTC 2003

Michael K. Johnson wrote:

> However, that won't be the ONLY feature of Fedora Core 2.  I'd like to
> hear people's wishlists.  Not everything will be possible, but it would
> be nice to have a good list from which to pick the possibilities, and
> from which to also pick ideas later for Fedora Core 3.

Xose's wishes list. All for this year ;-)

here goes:

 o SPAM and virus are blight, spamassassin is a good tool to combat
   spam, but it is necessary a filter like mailscanner, or amavis or...
   to get a good mta/antivirus integration.

 o more feature rich POP3 server, like popa3d, solid-pop3d,
   tpop3d, cucipop, teapop, cyrus ...

 o replacement for cpio. afio is a better and more secure 'cpio':
   - makes cpio-format archives
   - It deals somewhat gracefully with input data corruption
   - supports multi-volume archives during interactive operation
   - can make compressed archives that are much safer than compressed
     tar or cpio archives.
   - provides more diverse magnetic tape options

 o I know that there is a lot of text processors in fedora, but LyX is
   WYSIWYM document processor, and now it has a qt interface.

 o lighter web server. Apache is too big for basic web services.
   Candidates : mathopd, thttpd, boa, fnord, ...

 o a better syslog. syslog-ng has more options. It adds the possibility
   to filter based on message contents using regular expressions. It's
   more flexible, more secure and has better support for transport
   logs through the net.

 o lighter dns server, bind is too big for basic dns services.
   Candidates: http://maradns.org http://powerdns.com ...

 o A good network monitoring program:
   http://www.nagios.org http://www.opennms.org http://bb4.com

 o more _user_ frienly apps. Multimedia apps: to watch TV, sound
   systems..., more and better graphics tools...
   http://www.suse.com/us/private/products/suse_linux/i386/graphics.html
   http://www.suse.com/us/private/products/suse_linux/i386/multimedia.html

 o There is no test suite like SUNvts http://www.sun.com/oem/products/vts/
   to test hardware.
   Candidates:
    - cpuburn, for CPU, cooling system, motherboard(especially
      voltage regulators) and power supply.
    - cts_cerberus/memtst for memory
    - netpipe for NET http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/netpipe/
    - dt, scu, sg utils for SCSI
    - http://linux-diag.sourceforge.net
    - fs stress tests
    - ....

 o more security oriented distribution with john, snort... and
   Bastille Hardening System.
   Daemons must not put version and/or name in their banner and they
   don't run by default(chkconfig off)

 o Supporat to files bigger than 2G in _all_ programs:
   http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/709

 o live updated with yum, with the system up and runnig(without boot
   from CD/NET... and without run anaconda)

 o really a minimal installation, there are too much packages in
   the minimal installation and it takes a lot of space 490MB(rhl_9).
   And with the possibility of don't install documentation with the
   rpm option "--excludedocs"

 o and the last, to send feedback/patches to *original sofware writers*.
   It's very annoying to see that a bug was corrected in rh but the
   upstream version still has the bug in newer releases.

# EOXWL

-thanks-