Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Justin M. Forbes 64bit_fedora at comcast.net
Tue Dec 9 14:28:42 UTC 2003

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 09:43:25AM +0100, Boszormenyi Zoltan wrote:
> bi-arch system for x86_64 would be nice.
> One should be able to compile 32 bit libs and
> applications on x86_64. E.g. I would like to use
> rpmbuild --target=i386 to produce 32-bit compiled
> rpm packages on x84_64. rpmbuild should give the
> proper --libdir= etc. options to the software's
> configure script in such a way that the produced
> libraries can be installed on both ia32 and x86_64
> Fedoras.

We can look at adding this, as I think it would be beneficial all the way
around, I will do some research on the logistics of this, and see if the
package maintainers will buy in.

> The rpm packages should be more refined
> so i386 and x86_64 does not conflict. E.g.
> the documentation files under /usr/share/doc/<package>
> and other common files should be in a <package>-common rpm,
> the development header files in a <package>-devel-common, etc.
> These rpms can be noarch.rpm since they only contain
> textfiles.

This is a lot of change to packaging, right now our goal is more to ensure
the files do not confilct, so that if you have both arches installed, they
just overwrite each other, and sizes remain the same.  That way you can
verify your installs, and the only thing that might differ would be
timestamp.  In the future though I do not think that this is a bad idea.
Once again it comes down to package maintainers, and getting their buy in.

Justin M. Forbes