rdiff-backup as a default backup solution was [ Re: Fedora Core 2 wishlists ]

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Tue Dec 9 14:31:50 UTC 2003

Michael Schwendt wrote:

>> seth vidal wrote
>> [1] http://rdiff-backup.stanford.edu/

> Also in fedora.us "stable" already.

If i were just making arguments about offering choice
for a backup solution, I would be more than happy to just populate
fedora.us with choices. But what I'm really trying to get at is I think
there is a real need for FC to offer something in the way of
an easy-bake backup tool as a default offering that simply fills a
defined backup policy usefully to a mundane user. And I would go further
if possible to encourage users to use the tool as part of the install
process...since really, the users who would probably most benefit from
such an easy-bake tool probably to be told that it exists since they
probably haven't really thought about how they want to do data backups.
How integrated a default backup tool should be to try to provide a
mundane user with a reasonable backup policy as part of the install, is
a larger harder question.

But to be clear, I think most mundane end-users who are running fedora
systems at home standalone or in a small lan would be served by having a
gui backup tool that did backups to large harddrives either locally or
on the lan.  More than that would of course be great(or mind-numbingly
confusing)...but I'm not going to expect anything more than that from a
first cut at an easy-bake gui tool for this. rdiff-backup looks
compelling to me as the underpinnings of a KISS gui tool to do backups
and restores. The fact that its already in fedora.us probably makes it
more compelling as the basis of an easy-bake tool for FC2.

-jef"i never want to hear 'how do i undelete a file on ext3'
again"spaleta