Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Tue Dec 9 16:12:18 UTC 2003

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 10:28:05AM -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:
> MailScanner can strip executables easily, doing basically everything
> MIMEdefang does and then some.  I found the installation extremely easy, even
> on an Aurora 1.0 SPARC box.  It does, however, override the default sendmail
> initscript, and starts both itself and sendmail in one initscript.  This

So every time you upgrade sendmail, your MailScanner config is hosed?
Ick!  Or do they use triggers?  (worse)

> might be a minor stumblingblock.

Well, it would certainly need to be fixed.

> The way it's installer is distributed is
> alos not the Regular Way, being a tarball of source RPMs of a bunch of perl
> modules, an installer script (which rebuilds all of the Perl RPMs from source
> RPM, to get everything in the right place), and a binary RPM of the tnef
> code.  I had to track down and rebuild the tnef RPM for my SPARC box, but
> intel users don't have that problem.

That would all have to be regularized, which shouldn't be a big deal,
if the whole point of that mess is to adapt it to the installation
environment.  If that environment becomes a constant, then that whole
rigamarole isn't useful.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/