Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Karl DeBisschop kdebisschop at alert.infoplease.com
Tue Dec 9 16:13:38 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 10:52, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > > 4) MozillaFirebird
> > >
> > One problem is that you've already got:
> >
> > - mozilla
> > - konqueror
> > - epiphany
> >
> > and people requesting galeon2, etc.
> >
> > There's definitely a level of 'Too Much Choice' when it comes
> > to Fedora Core. I'd suspect that to add Firebird, something
> > else would go. (quite possibly Mozilla classic.)
> >
> Agreed.  Also, firebird and thunderbird haven't reached 1.0 yet.

Neither has pam.

What's more, in this case many of the bugs are actually bugs against
Gecko. So the difference between Mozilla 1.6 and FireBird's 0.8 may well
be semantic. Or the Firebird team has a higher standard of quality.
Surely that is a good thing.

> And they are missing migration tools.

True.

> And they don't even play nice together yet (you can't click on a link
> in mail and have it open in the browser.)

If firebird is set up as your default browser in Gnome, clicking on the
link in Evolution works fine.

The bigger problem might be that you can't click on a mailto: link and
have it work. Firebird doesn't know about your Gnome prefernces in that
regard. I assume the same is true in KDE.

>   I'm also hoping that we get to a world where they can all share a
> GRE that works as well.

Not sure what you mean by GRE

I think there are a lot of good points here. OTOH, firebird is the
advertised direction that Mozilla.org is heading in, so I cite Fedora
objective #5: Be on the leading edge of open source technology, by
adopting and helping develop new features and version upgrades.

While I'm at it, #6 says: 'Emphasize usability and a "just works"
philosophy in selecting default configuration and designing features'
which could almost be a quote from the Firebird mission statement.

I'm not sure that now is the right time for Firebird, but I think a case
can be made that it is. At least as strong a case as there is for
galeon2, IMO, and for the record I'm a big fan of galeon as well, so I'm
not trying to dis it.

--
Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop at alert.infoplease.com>
Pearson Education/Information Please