Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Bill Rugolsky Jr. brugolsky at telemetry-investments.com
Tue Dec 9 16:35:31 UTC 2003

Core functionality:

o SELinux (in progress)
  Along with the 2.6 kernel, this should be the central focus
  of FC2, IMHO.  I'm happy to see work progressing.

o OTPW - One-time password PAM (http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/otpw.html).

o A tool (DKMS or otherwise) for building and managing modules that are
  not included in the distro kernel.

o Ext3 online fs growth (may get merged upstream ...)

o Encrypted block device. (I'm partial to  Christophe Saout's
  device mapper crypt target, dm-crypt, http://www.saout.de/misc/ )

o root-on-LVM2/EVMS support in mkinitrd/initscripts

o Packet-writing (http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/patches/packet/)

o OpenIPMI (http://openipmi.sourceforge.net)

o ln -s /proc/self/mounts /etc/mtab
  *and* fix the kernel to show the mount options.
  [This is desirable for using private namespaces.]

o UML - a User-mode Linux kernel.

o kernel-utils split.  UML tools should be in a separate package,
  as should the S.M.A.R.T. stuff.  These tools change at varying paces;
  combining them creates an administrative headache.

Functional/Performance testing:

o Regression Test suite.  Ideally, the user could chose to run
  (non-)destructive tests, compare with earlier runs, and optionally
  mail or POST the results (including a hardware description) to a central
  database.

o Oprofile "service" for long-term profiling, config file in
  /etc/sysconfig, etc., cron job to generate summaries, optionally mail
  or POST to central database. [Need to consider privacy issues.]

Random tools:

o CSSC - A base *nix install really ought to have SCCS-compatible tools,
  and the latest version works with BitKeeper's enhanced format.

o sg3_utils - These are very handy.

Generally, I see no reason to burden Fedora Core with lots more packages.
There can readily be "Best of Fedora Extras" CDs for the folks who don't
have broadband and need to install huge packages.

Regards,

	Bill Rugolsky