Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Tue Dec 9 16:44:00 UTC 2003

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Karl DeBisschop wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 10:43, Robert Marcano wrote:
>
> > > However, that won't be the ONLY feature of Fedora Core 2.  I'd like to
> > > hear people's wishlists...
> >
> > Make default applications configurable, for example instead of Mozilla
> > Web Browser, call it Web Browser and allows the user to change it
> > without messing around with the .desktop files
>
> We have a system mechanism for this in the alternatives system. Any
> chance of extending that to provide a uniform user-level way of
> specifying alternatives?

Debian already does this -- even which Vi gets run when you type vi is
controlled by alternatives. It's extremely messy, IMHO, and has the drawback
that it doesn't offer any per-user configuration, so it doesn't really do
what you want. I think fedora should avoid alternatives as much as
possible....

Maybe what's needed is extension of existing config GUIs so they edit all
configs and not just their own (for example, selecting default editor in
Gnome changes Gnome's editor, but also sets VISUAL and EDITOR variables,
changes KDE's editor, etc.). That's more likely than unified
configuration....

later,
chris